Friday 14 November 2014

Blog #9

For this blog I'm straying from the path a little bit. I'm going to be talking about a play I saw and do a review on it.

The play was called "Proud" by Micheal Healey. The play was fantastic, It surprised me because I didn't know a play about Canadian politics could be so funny. The actors were absolutely hysterical.
 The way these actors played their parts was very on point. Actor Ross McMillan played the part of Canada's Prime Minister, Stephen Harper.

He was amazing in the sense that he had Harper's schtick down to an art, his body language, tone of voice, and the way he acted is what really made this play stick out from the other plays have seen before. There was a lot of profanity in it is one thing I would have switched out of there. I hope that if an American sees this play I wouldn't want them to think people representing Canada use offensive language like that...... often.

I was very hesitant about going to this play. I don't like plays, I never have. Although, this play taught me about the way politics work in Canada which is something I never knew about nor did I care about politics. As a result I would highly recommend this play for a good laugh as well as an understanding of just what the heck goes on inside the House of Commons.

After the actors did a talkback session to answer questions about the play. This made the play much better in the sense that if you didn't understand anything about the play it could be clarified or just questions about the play itself. Someone asked Ross  "How do you get into character?" and he explained that he would watch sever videos, interviews and look at pictures of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and eventually Ross said "Sometimes, I never get out of character. I go home in curl up in my bed and my wife says 'Honey, you're doing it again.' It's something I need to work on."

Bottom line, it was a fantastic show and I would definitely recommend it to everyone....age 18 and over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment