Thursday 26 November 2015

What makes you jump up out of your seat?

Hey, beauties!


Today I'm going to be talking about one of my favourite things about the good ol' hockey game........GOALTENDING! Now, I know this isn't as exciting for most hockey players cause those guys are all about the wheel, snipe, celly life, but as a goalie I have a very special place win my heart for goaltending. Not just because I AM a goalie, mostly because when you watch a save in slow motion its almost like an art.


Sorry for getting so artsy, fartsy on you guys.... I won't do it again.... this week.

The message I'm trying to get across is that goaltending is by far the hardest position in hockey...In my opinion. Most of my friends who are goalies usually have a favourite NHL team but they also have a favourite goalie who may or may not play for that specific team. For example my favourite team is the Winnipeg Jets, but my favourite goalie is Florida Panthers goalie, Roberto Luongo.


The fondest memories I have of Luongo was his glove save off of Cam Barker in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. I can't also forget Luongo being the last line of defence for Team Canada during the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Luongo made this humongous glove save, or should I say "Lu-mongus save" off a slap shot from Cam Barker. The Canucks were at home in Vancouver, the Canucks were leading the Chicago Blackhawks 4-1, Luongo was on his A game. I was sitting on my couch watching it from the edge of my seat. Luongo had some traffic in his crease, Marian Hossa knocked Luongo's stick out of his hand. The puck slid over to the blue line where Chris Versteeg was able to scoop it up. I can hear Jim Hughson calling the play as I type this.

"He can't put it in past Luongo. Centring pass to Versteeg. Luongo doesn't have his stick. Looks in front, saucers to Barker... SAVE LUONGO!"

Right then and there I jumped up from my couch, clapped and cheered!

I could hear the crowd go wild, cheer and yell "LUUUUUUUU!" in respect for their star goaltender.

(save link below)

That without a doubt has to be my favourite save by my favourite goalie. So, I want to hear from you guys! What is your all time favourite save by your all time favourite goalie?

comment below!

Until next week, guys!

Luongo glove save on Barker is at 0.22 into the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Gu1JsOmGI





No comments:

Post a Comment