Thursday 9 October 2014

Blog # 4


Today I'm going to be talking about the music that is very popular among the general population and the message it has, compared to the message Hardcore has.

Most songs lyrically promote sex, drugs and partying. Surprisingly, most Hardcore music does NOT promote that kind of behaviour. Although, some bands do promote the use of Marijuana a good chunk of Hardcore bands in the music industry are Straight Edge.

For those of you at home who don't know what Straight Edge is, it is a group of people who refuse to give in to drugs and alcohol and some Straight Edge musicians also don't believe in sex until marriage. One of my favourite bands of all time called "International Superheroes of Hardcore" has a song called "Captain Straight Edge" with lyrics stating

      "I am Captain Straight Edge and I am here to stay.
                           All you evil drug dealers are gonna see the day where you go down.
                                    If you smoke you choke, you drink you stink.
                                        I'll shoot a laser beam at ya cause!
                                            I am Captain Straight Edge!"

The lyrics are pretty cheesy but it appeals to the Hardcore and Straight Edge community quite a bit. I've been listening to Hardcore since I was 17 and now I have followed down the same path most of these musicians are trying to instil into our society. Live a drug free life! 

 Now, that I've discussed the message the Hardcore scene is trying to instil, let's take a look at the music that is popular among the general public. Jason Derulo has lyrics in his song "Talk Dirty to Me" that state 
                                  
  "Been around the world, don't speak the language
But your booty don't need explaining
All I really need to understand is
When you talk dirty to me
Talk dirty to me
Talk dirty to me
Talk dirty to me"

Despite these lyrics having blatant sexual innuendos this song is extremely popular among kids and teens, Why? Because sex sells! 40-50 years ago this music wouldn't even be placed on shelves. 

Bottom line, there's a big difference between what the music sounds like and what the music means lyrically. So next time you hear something that sounds good on the radio, listen a little bit closer, cause the music you think sounds great may not have the greatest message. 


Thanks for reading!  



No comments:

Post a Comment