Wednesday 15 October 2014

Blog # 5

What's up fellow Metal heads?

Today I'm going to talk about what Metal and Hardcore music means to me personally. I started listening to Metal when I was 14 years old.

I was introduced to the rocker Meatloaf, I listened to Meatloaf for 5-6 months before I craved something heavier. In the summer of 2007 I started to listen to Slayer, a band that has caused a lot of controversy in the music industry and with the United States Government.

On September 11, 2001, Slayer released an album titled "God Hates Us All" which sparked a lot of controversy with United States Government, Slayer's lawyers responded to the controversy stating "It had absolutely nothing to do with the terrorist attacks. It was a pure coincidence." Due to this controversy I stopped listening to Slayer.

In the beginning of 2008, I started listening to a band called Slipknot. I found hope with Slipknot, growing up I was bullied a lot and I found out I had a learning disability. Slipknot gave me a sense that it's not your fault for being bullied, some people are just jerks.

Then in fall of 2008 I started listening to a band called "August Burns Red" who had a song I could really relate to about being bullied for my learning disability. The song is called "Speech Impediment"

The lyrics are

Your due date is up.
Don't make comments on irrelevant subjects.
There is a man who seeks his own happiness,
and his smile is warmer than five of yours.
You keep singing to a tasteless song.
He whistles to a song of hope.
A night of foolish chatter is easily replaced by a couple bold statements.
Few words are gold, and living is offensive in itself.
Your shallow ideals are about as useless as the gnats in my eyes.
Wake up.
Put your heart where your mouth is.


In closing I think people need to realize that you can find hope and a home in a place you never expected, cause when I listen to Metal, I feel right at home. 

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment