Friday 31 October 2014

Blog # 7

Well, ghosts and ghouls. Since today is Halloween it only seems appropriate that I talk about the connection between gothic/ Halloween themed music (Metal) and my favourite holiday of the entire year, yes, more than Christmas. 

Metal more than Hardcore holds a pretty similar connection to the "Halloween scene" per say. For example, the whole skulls and black clothing shtick holds a special place in every MetalHead's heart, as corny as that sounds. I think Halloween is a holiday for people to get in touch with their inner dark side, which is exactly what Metal music does for it's listeners. 

A great example would be the band Slipknot, although they are pretty well known in the Metal scene. Their whole personality is surrounded around the fact that they wear masks when they perform. So, basically the same thing, except, I'm pretty sure Slipknot doesn't go door to door asking for candy, they play aggressive music instead. 

Halloween was always my favourite holiday growing up as a kid, the candy, the costumes, being outside at night and last but certainly not least the scary movies on TV leading up to Halloween. Most of the time I watch the cheesey children's cartoon movies that I used to watch as kid, for nostalgia reasons, obviously. The movies Halloweentown and the Halloween tree made me realize "Yeah, Halloween isn't 
scary, it's cool!" From a very young age. 
I really think that was my first signs of being interested in the Metal scene, through Halloween. 

Even though I'm 21 going on 22, Halloween is still my favourite holiday. 

See you next week and thanks for reading! 

And Happy Halloween!! 

1 comment: